Sadly today the Daily News reported that a five month infant died in his crib. The child was asphyxiated when he became wedged between baseboard, the mattress, and the nylon mesh siding.
The crib was purchased for about $100 from Cookies in Brooklyn. It was made in China.
In the past, a number of American based crib manufacturers were sued for making cribs which allowed the child to get caught in the slats and suffocate. American manufacturers have learned from this sad experience, and reputable makers have designed their cribs to avoid this and other problems. The same cannot be said of cheaply made cribs from China.
When buying the baby’s furniture, we urge that parents do some research and buy products that have been designed and tested as safe. Such things may be a bit more expensive, but the peace of mind is worth it.
We have handled injuries sustained by infants due to defective baby furniture and accessories. If your child has an accident, please feel free to call me at 800-581-1434.
Mark E. Seitelman, 9/09/08, www.seitelman.com.