We had written in a prior post about a family who died in a fire. Their smoke detector was disabled.
Upon further investigation it appears that the Saturday night fire in a Chelsea housing project may have been started by one of the children who was playing with matches. See NY Daily News story here.
The two parents and three daughters perished. The son survived but is in critical condition. Our prayers are with him.
On reflecting on this catastrophe, it is worth repeating that matches and children are a deadly combination.
Keep you and your children safe from fire with some of the following safety tips:
- Keep matches and lighters in a childproof drawer in the kitchen.
- Children tend to mimic their parents. If they see you use matches to smoke or light candles, they will do so. Therefore, it is important to keep matches out of reach. If you smoke, do not be careless about leaving matches or lighters around the house.
- Teach your children that fire is dangerous whether it be from the stove, religious candles, or a cigarette lighter.
If you or a loved one have been injured in a fire, please feel free to call me at 800-244-9313.
Mark E. Seitelman, 10/15/08, www.seitelman.com.
Post Update: Sadly, the sole surviving child, the young man, was taken-off life support. The entire family perished. May they rest in peace.
M.E.S., 10/17/08, www.seitelman.com.