Getting a Recovery for Your Injuries from New York City Housing Authority for Its Failure to Make Repairs

New York Daily News has written about New York City Housing Authority’s delays in making repairs.  In many cases, NYCHA has failed to make tenant repairs for many months and even as long as 1.5 years.  See article here.

Typical tenant complaints include holes in ceilings, collapsed ceilings, water leaks, and holes in walls.  Some of these problems can lead to injuries.

If you live in a NYCHA apartment and have a complaint that needs repair, you should do the following:

  • keep a record of each time that you make a complaint;
  • make a complaint daily, if necessary, and keep a record;
  • bypass the central call number, and complain to the personnel in your project’s office; keep a record of those conversations; and
  • make a written complaint by letter, by certified mail (return receipt requested), to the appropriate office within NYCHA, and repeat, if necessary.

The foregoing may secure a speedier repair. 

However, in the unfortunate event of an injury, your documented complaints to NYCHA will prove that it had actual notice of the dangerous condition.  It will prove that NYCHA was negligent.  

For example,

John Jones has leaks in his kitchen ceiling, and the plaster has bubbled.  He is afraid that the leak will cause the ceiling to collapse.

Jones calls NYCHA on June 1st.  He keeps a record of the call and the “control” number that he is given.  He thereafter makes a daily call for the next 30 days.  He keeps a record of those calls.

On July 1st Jones sends a complaint letter by certified mail to NYCHA.   He is still making the daily calls.

On July 20th there is a ceiling collapse in Jones’s kitchen, and Jones is injured while preparing breakfast.

Jones will be able to prove negligence against NYCHA by reason of his many documented complaints.

In sum, NYCHA was told of the dangerous condition, it had adequate time to repair, and it was negligent in failing to repair.  

 If you have been injured due to the negligence of New York City Housing Authority, please feel free to call me for a free consultation at 800-581-1434 or write to

Mark E. Seitelman, 7/23/10,


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: