Getting a Recovery from a Hit and Run Automobile Accident, Part II–Uninsured Motorist Coverage and MVAIC

Victims of hit and run auto accidents can obtain a recovery for their injuries although the vehicle owner and operator are unidentified.

An injured victim will look to the following sources of recovery:

  1. The client will claim against his auto policy.  Every New York auto policy has “uninsured motorist coverage” which affords coverage to the insured if he is the victim of a hit and run.  The injured person’s own policy provides coverage even though that person’s automobile was not involved in the accident.
  2. If the client has no auto insurance policy in his household, then the client will look to Motor Vehicle Accident Indemnification Corporation or MVAIC.

MVAIC is a non-profit insurance company established by New York State.  It is the insurer of last resort if there is no other applicable insurance, such as the injured person’s own policy.  MVAIC provides the minimum required coverages, such as $25,000/50,000.

A claim to either your insurance company or MVAIC must be made as reasonably practicable after ascertaining that there is no insurance.

As I discussed in Part I, hit and run coverage will not be available where there has not been a police report within 24 hours.

If you have been injured in an automobile accident, please feel free to contact me for a free consultation at 800-581-1434 or write to

Mark E. Seitelman, 10/12/11,


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: